Here’s the same old ‘renew your listing’ scam I’ve dealt with for the last 10+ years. It’s only worse because their name is “Reed Directories”, that sounds like the very respected “Reed Publications”. Matter of fact, if someone from the real Reed is out there, I’d jump all over these guys.
A little whois search tells me they are from Quebec which virtually guarantees its a shady operation. It also links shows their parent company, Mediacorp.
So, they almost sound legit because they haven’t hidden their ownership too well, and Mediacorp’s website says they are in the business of making directories. Here’s where the fish starts to smell tho:
- The Reed Directories website doesn’t list any company information.
- Introduction as ‘white/yellow pages’ directory (white pages, for business?)
- The salesperson’s pitch started with the ‘need to verify your listing’.
- At the end, told they will be sending directory via UPS (not mail, to avoid postal inspectors?)
- Asked to provide billing information for 300-some dollars.
- Told I was being contacted because I was already in their directory.